Donate

Join PACSJ

Visit us on FaceBook

Home

About PAC*SJ

Who We Are

Brochure

Get involved

Newsletters

Resources
Homeowner FAQs
San Jose History
Historic Districts/Maps
Preservation links
Historian links
Calendar

Our Events

Marketplace

San Jose Clock Tower

Jo Drechsler Fund

George Espinola, Jr. Fund

Amazon Smile

Contact Us


St. James Square Historic District

This district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and became a City Historic District in 1984. It is composed of St. James Park itself and nine Classical style structures that face the Park. These structures are the old Main Post Office, Santa Clara County Courthouse, Letcher Garage, First Church of Christ Scientist, St. Claire Club, Scottish Rite Temple (now the San Jose Athletic Club), First Unitarian Church, Eagles Hall, and the Trinity Episcopal Church.

Because the Square is the only public square left in the City and because the important structures which face the park represent excellent examples of civic design from the decades between the 1860s and 1930s, the district easily met criteria for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

Originally laid out in 1848 by Chester Lyman, the plan of St. James Park was revamped to include a pathway design and fountain in 1868. It has undergone a variety of changes since that time. The fountain, which was a central point in the layout of walkways through the park, was removed during the bisection of the park by Second Street.

More on St. James Square