Donate

Join PACSJ

Visit us on FaceBook

Home

About PAC*SJ

Who We Are

Brochure

Get involved

Newsletters

Resources
Homeowner FAQs
San Jose History
Historic Districts/Maps
Preservation links
Historian links
Calendar

Our Events

Marketplace

San Jose Clock Tower

Jo Drechsler Fund

George Espinola, Jr. Fund

Amazon Smile

Contact Us


Hensley Historic District

This district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. It is composed of the largest concentration of Victorian homes left in the central city area. Bounded by Second street to the west, Empire Street to the north, Sixth Street to the east, and Julian Street to the south, the area has a mix of single and multi-family uses. Many of the larger residences have been divided into flats and apartments.

Historically, the eastern side of the neighborhood was a part of the Hensley estate, bounded by First, Empire, and Fourth Streets with the Southern Pacific railway tracks serving as the southern edge of the property. Major Hensley settled here after 1849 when he left the gold fields. The property was subdivided in 1896; again with the services of T.S. Montgomery.

Architecturally, the houses represent some of the best examples of Italianate, Stick- Eastlake, and Queen Anne styles popular between the 1870s and 1890s. The neighborhood is made up of representative examples of the styles. The many larger and more elaborate homes located on North Third Street and the less elaborate workingmen's homes on the North Fifth Street exhibit two interpretations of the styles on different scales.

Hensley Historic District website